Your Benadryl dosage may vary depending on several factors that include your age, the drug formulation, the medical condition being treated, other medications currently taken, and overall health history. As with any other medication, dosage should not be adjusted and medication should not be changed unless instructed by your healthcare provider.
Below is the usual Benadryl dosage for different specific health conditions. Your healthcare provider may give you a totally different dose depending on your needs.
Relief of Allergies and Cold
- For adults and children older than 12 years of age, the recommended dose is 25 to 50 mg (1 to 2 capsules or oral solution) every four to six hours.
- For children 6 to under 12 years of age, the recommended dose is 12.5 to 25 mg (1 capsule or oral solution) every four to six hours.
- Use in children below 6 years old is not usually recommended. Consult your healthcare provider for instructions.
Relief of Pain and Itching (Topical Benadryl)
Benadryl is also available in topical formulations such as cream, gel, spray and stick. Apply a small amount in the skin, usually one to four times a day or when the need arises. These products are not recommended for children younger than two years old. Topical Benadryl products should not be taken with other formulations of diphenhydramine such as capsules. Such products are not intended to be applied on a large area of the body.
Other Medical Purposes
Benadryl may also be prescribed “off-label” for other medical purposes such as for relief of insomnia, prevention of motion sickness and others. It is recommended that you consult your physician when taking Benadryl for these purposes.
Important Considerations When Taking Benadryl
Here are some things that you have to know when using this medication:
- Benadryl is available in many different drug formulations. It may be taken orally, applied topically, or injected into a muscle or vein. Be sure to take the appropriate product.
- Benadryl may be taken with or without food. If it causes stomach upset, you can take it with little food or with meals.
- Since Benadryl is available in many different drug formulations, be sure to follow your healthcare provider’s specific instructions.
- For this drug to work properly, it should be taken as directed. Avoid missing doses. If you miss a dose, do not take double dose.
- If you do not understand the prescription label or have questions, contact your healthcare provider.