As with any prescription or over-the-counter medication, it is important to take simethicone exactly as directed by your doctor or the instructions on the product label. Taking more than the indicated amount may result in unknown side effects, while taking less than the indicated amount may render the medication ineffective. If you have questions about taking simethicone, or think you may need a higher dose than what is recommended on the product packaging, consult your doctor.
- Swallow simethicone regular tablets and capsules whole
- do not crush, chew or open them
- Conversely, chew chewable simethicone tablets thoroughly before swallowing.
- Use a medicine cup or dropper to administer liquid simethicone
- many medical professionals caution patients against dosing their medications with a regular kitchen spoon, as it may not provide an accurate dose
The recommended dosage of simethicone ranges between 40 and 125 mg for teenagers and adults; this dose may be repeated up to four times per day. Teenagers and adults who are using simethicone for gas relief should avoid taking more than 500 mg of simethicone in a 24-hour period. When using simethicone to treat gas in children, allow your child’s pediatrician to determine the correct dosage.