Each patient is given a unique Actos dosage depending on several factors that include how well controlled the blood sugar level is, other medications currently taken, and other medical conditions.
As with any other medications, do not adjust your dose or stop taking this medication without consulting your healthcare provider. Below is the usual dosage of Actos however, it is possible for you to have a totally different dose.
Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes
The recommended starting dosage of Actos for patients with type 2 diabetes is 15 to 30 mg taken once a day. Depending on the patient’s response to treatment and blood sugar levels, the dose may be increased to a maximum of 45 mg per day with an increment of 15 mg.
After the initial dose of Actos and at every dosage adjustment, carefully monitor the patient for possible adverse reactions particularly swelling of extremities, weight gain, and other signs of congestive heart failure.
In patients with renal impairment, Actos dose may be adjusted accordingly.
It is also recommended that liver tests be done before starting Actos treatment, especially in patients with history or existing liver problems. Regular liver tests may be performed in patients who have liver abnormalities prior to starting medication. However, routine liver tests while taking Actos are not recommended in patients without liver problems.
General Dosing Information
Some of the general considerations when taking Actos include the following:
- Actos may be taken with or without meals. If this medication causes stomach symptoms, you may take it with meals or light snack.
- As much as possible, take this medication around the same time of the day to maintain effective drug levels.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. But if is almost time for the next dose, just skip the dose and continue with the regular schedule. Never take double dose of Actos.
- For maximum effect and safety, take this medication exactly as prescribed. Actos may not be as effective or may not work properly if taken differently.
- If you are not sure about Actos or do not understand your prescription label, consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist. Do not discontinue taking Actos without talking with your healthcare provider.
- Actos is intended to be used along with other blood sugar control measures that include a healthy diabetic diet, weight management, regular exercise, and other antidiabetic medications.