Your Ambien dosage amount varies depending on a number of factors that include the patient’s age, medications you currently take, and other medical conditions that you have. As with any other medication, take Ambien exactly as directed. Do not adjust your dose unless instructed by your healthcare provider.
Below is general information about Ambien and Ambien CR dosage for specific medical conditions.
Standard Ambien Dosing
Adult dose of Ambien for patients with Insomnia
The usual starting dose of Ambien is 10 mg taken once a day, immediately before bedtime. The daily Ambien dosage should not exceed 10 mg.
Co-administration with other CNS depressants
For patients taking other CNS depressant drugs, Ambien dose may be adjusted to prevent potentially negative effects.
Ambien CR Dosage
For patients who have problems initiating and maintaining sleep, Ambien CR may be necessary. This extended-release formulation of Ambien comes with multi-layer covering that allows it to produce a continuous steady effect. As with Ambien immediate release, Ambien CR dosage should be individualized.
Adult dose of Ambien CR for patients with Insomnia
The usual starting dose of Ambien CR is 12.5 mg taken once a day, immediately before bedtime. The daily Ambien dosage should not exceed 12.5 mg.
Ambien CR dose for special populations
Elderly or debilitated patients are especially sensitive to the effects of this drug hence are given lower doses of Ambien CR. Patients with liver diseases may have problems metabolizing and excreting the drugs. The usual starting dose of Ambien CR is 6.25 mg taken once a day, immediately before bedtime.
Patients using other medications, particularly those that act on the brain, may require adjusted doses of Ambien CR.
Important Things to Consider When Taking Ambien
- Take this medication exactly as prescribed. Do not take more than or less than prescribed to avoid unwanted effects.
- Take this medication immediately before going to bed. It must be taken on an empty stomach. Taking it with meals can affect in the metabolism of this drug.
- Do not take this drug if you cannot get a full night’s sleep (7 to 8 hours).
- Avoid taking other drugs including prescription and over-the-counter drugs while on Ambien.
- Do not drink alcohol during your treatment with Ambien.
- Ambien CR must be swallowed whole with a full glass of water. Do not crush, divide, chew or remove the protective cover.
- Do not take this drug for more than 2 weeks, unless otherwise instructed by your healthcare provider. If you still have problems with sleeping, inform your healthcare provider.
- Read the prescription label carefully. If you do not understand the dosage or have questions, talk with your healthcare provider.