Femara (letrozole) is taken daily as a tablet for the treatment of certain types of breast cancer. It may also be used off-label as a fertility treatment for women.
Dosage of Femara
For Adult Post-Menopausal Women with Estrogen-Dependent Breast Cancer: 2.5mg tablet taken every day. If you have severe liver disease (cirrhosis), your doctor may reduce your dose to 2.5mg every other day to allow your liver to effectively process the medication.
For Adult Women as a Fertility Treatment: you will be given a five day course of Femara to take. The dosage may be 2.5mg, 5mg or 7.5mg, depending on what your physician decides. This treatment may then be repeated during your next menstrual cycle.
What to Remember when taking Femara
- You should take Femara as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist, and read the patient information label in the medication package before use. You should not share your medication with friends or family, even if they appear to have the same symptoms as you. You should keep your Femara medication in a cool, dark place away from children.
- Femara medication is a round yellow tablet which comes in 2.5mg strength.
- Try to take the medication at the same time every day, but it does not matter if you take the tablet with food or not.
- If you miss a dose, do not take a double dose the next day.
- Never alter your dose without first consulting your physician.
- Femara is often taken for several years after breast cancer surgery. This is to prevent the recurrence of any cancer.
- Femara can cause sleepiness and dizziness, so you should be careful when driving or operating machinery. If you are concerned about this, ask your physician to discuss this with you in more detail.