In determining the safe and effective Livalo dosage for your condition, the physician consider three factors that include the desired cholesterol level, other underlying medical conditions and other medications currently taken.
As with any other medication, never adjust the dosage or change the medication without recommendation from your physician.
Management of Hyperlipidemia in Adults
- Livalo dosage ranges from 1 to 4 mg orally taken once a day at any time of the day.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- The recommended initial dose is 2 mg and can be titrated up to 4 mg.
Normally, physicians prescribe individualized maintenance doses of Livalo (Pitavastatin) depending on the client’s response to the treatment and the goal of the treatment.
However, the overall daily dose of Livalo must not exceed 4 mg. Taking Livalo higher than 4 mg per day significantly increases the risk for developing serious side effects especially muscle problems.
Blood cholesterol levels need to be checked four weeks after initiating the medication. Depending on the result of the lipid profile test, Livalo dosage may have to be increased. On the other hand, in case you develop side effects, the dose may need to be decreased. Subsequent lipid profile evaluation is necessary to monitor the progress of the patient as well to prevent untoward side effects.
Use in Patients with Underlying Renal Problems
Patients with underlying renal problems are normally given adjusted dose of Livalo. Usually, the initial dose for patients with moderate and severe renal disease is 1 mg per day. The same is true for patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) on hemodialysis therapy. The daily dose of Livalo for patients with renal problems should not be more than 2 mg per day.
Use with Other Medications
Patients currently taking other medications may need to take adjusted doses of Livalo. There are some medications that are known to interact with Livalo hence the dose must be adjusted accordingly. For instance, in patients taking rifampin, the daily maximum dose should not be more than 2 mg; while in patients taking erythromycin, the daily maximum dose should not be more than 1 mg.
Important things to consider when taking Livalo:
- Livalo is a prescription medication that is dispensed in tablet form. Usually, it is taken once a day.
- Livalo can be taken with or without food at any time of the day. However, it is recommended to take it around the same time of the day to maintain desired levels in the blood.
- This medication is intended to be used along with healthy diet and regular exercise to effectively control blood cholesterol levels.
- For Livalo to be effective, it should be taken as exactly as directed.