Phentermine and Insomnia
A small percentage of phentermine (Adipex, Suprenza) users may experience interruptions and changes to their normal sleep habits or insomnia. The cause of insomnia in some patients taking Phentermine may be the fact that the medication act as a stimulant.
Patients often experience:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Inability to Stay asleep
- Awaking too early or during the night
- Sleep that is un-refreshing
Prevent Insomnia While on Phentermine
Because of these potential side effects, it is best to take phentermine several hours before bedtime, preferably before 6 pm. The ideal time to take the medication is about half an hour before breakfast on an empty stomach; otherwise, wait at least 2 hours after eating to prevent gastrointestinal related side effects.
Patients should also avoid:
- Taking naps late in the afternoon, or avoid day-time naps all together
- Eating large meals before bedtime
- Beverages such as Caffeine and Alcohol
- Exercising before bedtime
If you follow these suggestion and still suffer from insomnia or sleep difficulties, discuss the problems with your doctor. Your doctor may recommend adjusting your dosage of Phentermine and possibly switch you to another medication.