Allopurinol Overdose

by on June 13, 2012

Allopurinol is a xanthine oxidase inhibitor that prevents attacks of gout and renal stones in affected patients, and also treats some complications of cancer chemotherapy.  It works by reducing the amount of a chemical called uric acid, which in high doses is responsible for these conditions. Allopurinol is not used to treat gout or renal stones, rather to prevent further attacks in patients already affected by these conditions.

Symptoms of an Allopurinol Overdose

No studies have been done to examine the effects on humans of an overdose of allopurinol. However, it is likely that you would experience some of the side effects of allopurinol:

  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting
  • Headache
  • Sluggishness
  • Muscle pain
  • Change in taste

What to do if you Overdose on Allopurinol?

Either go to your local emergency room (taking the medication packet with you) or call the Poison Helpline.