Propecia is approved only for treatment of male patent hair loss and comes as a film-coated tablet that contains 1 mg of finasteride. The recommended Propecia dosage is 1 mg or one tablet taken once a day. It may be taken with or without meals.
In general, the desired effects of this drug are observed only after three months or more of continuous use. The maximum benefits of this drug are achieved over long term. Normally, your healthcare provider will periodically evaluate your response to treatment.
General Dosing Instructions
Some important things to consider when taking Propecia include the following:
- To achieve desired drug levels in the blood, it should be taken around the same time of the day.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, you should skip the missed dose and resume with the regular schedule. Never double your dose to catch up on any missed dose.
- Propecia may be taken with or without meals. If it upsets the stomach, you can try taking it with meals.
- Continue taking this medication even if you do not see results. It may take three months or longer before results become apparent.
- If you discontinue taking Propecia, you may lose your hair again within 12 months of stopping the treatment.
- Women, especially those who are pregnant or may be pregnant, should never handle propecia tablets.
- To achieve the desired results of this drug, it should be taken exactly as prescribed. Propecia will not be as effective when taken other than the recommended dosing.
- If you do not understand the prescription, have questions, or are unsure about anything, consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist. Do not discontinue this drug unless instructed by the prescriber.