Victoza can be administered once a day at any time and can be injected subcutaneously in thigh or abdomen or arm. However, injection site and time can vary.
When Victoza is used with insulin, make sure to administer them separately and also injections should not be close to each other. Always check that Victoza solution is clear, transparent and contains no particles before taking injections. In case if you miss a dose then don’t take extra dose to make up the missed one.
A patient's victoza dosage may vary depending on different factors such
- Blood Sugar Levels
- Your power to tolerate the drug.
- Other medicines
- Medical Abnormalities in body.
For all individuals starting dosage of Victoza is 0.6mg daily for the first week, after that the dose is increased to 1.2 or 1.8mg /day. It is not advisable for children.
The initial lower dosage is intended to decrease gastric symptoms. However, it is not enough to control glucose level. After a week, dose is increased to 1.2mg. If this dose is not effective to achieve an acceptable blood glucose level then the dosage may be further increased to 1.8mg per day.
General Information about Victoza
- The drug is available in injectable form and is injected underneath the skin of the thigh, arm or abdomen.
- The site and time of injection can be changed without adjusting Victoza dose. It is advisable to stick with specific time.
- Victoza is available in predefined pens. In order to buy and use pens you need to have prescription for pen needles. Every time use new needle.
- Never inject this medication into muscles or veins.
- For better results this drug should be taken as per prescription. Regularly check your blood sugar levels. The drug stops working if you stop taking it.
- If you have any confusion about drug dosage then concerns to your doctor.
- It slows gastric emptying and gives feeling of satiety thereby helps to lose weight.
How to use NovoTwist needles?
- Slightly twist injection needle
- The needle is less time consuming.
- Needle has audible and tactile click for attachment.
- Available in 5mm and 8mm size.
Victoza is not recommended for patients with a family history of medullary thyroid carcinoma and multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2. Patients should be counseled for the symptoms of tumors.